Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Taking a break from dancing.
Rock the pandeiro bro! (But Miles Davis wants his glasses back).
Forrozeiros with my contact Roberto Andrade from the Confraria do Forró Pernambucana.
Arlindo and zabumba palyer.
You gotta dance!
Went again on Sunday evening to the forró at Arlindo´s house after tearing myself reluctantly away from a great maracatu (percussion music from Pernambuco) group playing in the street to a big crowd near my house. Carnaval is still a month away, but here in Olinda the season has already started and every Sunday beginning at four there is a kind of "practice" Carnaval in the streets.

But luckily I made it out to Arlindo´s because I met once again many forró musicians and fans and talked to a few of them who agreed to interviews (although actually getting the interviews is of course another matter!). Once again a great forró. Talked to alot of people, getting recognized because it´s my second time at Arlindo´s, and of course danced a whole lot and had some good Northeastern food (this time goat meat with maize couscous).

I´ll keep this post short, but starting to make some progress with collecting info and informants which is great. Also got some good photos sent to me by my new friends! Obrigado Liliana e galera!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sameena said...

Hey Kevin!
How very 'exotic' and 'tropical' fotos!;)I can see why you choose this topic! Just dancing and listening to music all day long...nice one!;) Can't complain myself...having landed unexpectedly at your roots! Very friendly and hospitable people...Great pubs and Irish music!(as u already know:) feeling 'lucky' indeed!
take care and keep dancing!
greetings from Belfast,
Sameena
*******

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home